On a previous post I talked about the benefits of having an indoor garden. But if you still have your doubts about being capable to start – and most importantly maintain – one, I have some good news for you: with all these indoor garden kits available nowadays, it has never been so easy!
Alright, so there are tons of garden kits for beginners that are extremely easy to use. Garden kits are basically pre-packaged with everything you need to get growing your garden right away.
The list below has my top 5 Indoor Garden kits for beginners that anyone – and I mean anyone – could try and be a successful gardener.
Great Indoor Garden Kits for Beginners that Makes Gardening Super Easy
1. The Smart Garden 3 by Click and Grow
What is it: The Smart Garden 3 solves the 2 common issues of growing plants indoor, it provides both sun and water required for them to grow easily. It’s basically a self-watering planter with a built-in grow light, featuring ‘NASA-inspired smart soil’ technology, that includes all the nutrients the seeds need to flourish while also encouraging beneficial microbes and border cells (similar to how plants grow in regular soil). This little counter-top herb garden is an easy entry-level product that makes any senior be a successful gardener by using it.
How does it work: You can set this kit up in just seconds – just drop the plant cartridges into the container, fill the water reservoir, plug the unit in to switch the lights on, and you’re done. You can then watch your specimens grow from seeds. With the device smart system, the special plant pods gradually release nutrients to your plants, so there’s no worry about forgetting to add a nutrient solution into the soil. The watering system works through capillary action, so it’s completely silent and keeps the soil appropriately moistened. Furthermore, having energy efficient LED lighting means you don’t have to rely on window light to grow your plants.
- Easy to use: Hassle free installation & maintenance. Just drop the plant cartridges right into the container, refill the water reservoir, plug the device in, and you are good to go;
- Low maintenance: Plug-and-play. All you need to do is just add water;
- Smart soil technology: The soil uses patented nano-tech growth medium that accelerates the plant growth without jeopardizing quality; Short grow time with herbs ready for harvest in 2 to 3 weeks; besides, low energy use with just 6-watt LEDs.
- This kit includes: pre-seeded basil capsules, but you can grow countless herbs with Click and Grow’s variety of plant pods. You can choose from over 40 fresh herbs (parsley, rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage, cilantro) and fruits (strawberries or any other berry) to grow pesticide free. Besides, none of the Click and Grow plant pods use any GMO seeds or herbicides, pesticides, or fungicides.
- Great design: Rectangular container is counter-top friendly. According to a reviewer says the space taken by the device on the counter is “comparable to a loaf of bread”.
- The LED lights have fixed height, that means that they can’t be adjusted.
- It grows only three plants at a time (there is also a larger option, with space for nine plants)
- Pod-based technology means you’ll be paying $19.95 for three soil pods as opposed to $2 to $3 for a pack of seeds.
Click here for more details on Amazon.
2. AeroGarden Sprout LED With Gourmet Herb Seed Pod Kit
What is it: The AeroGarden is easy to use and lets you grow herbs even if you have limited window space or sunlight in your home. The 20-watt LED lighting system helps to maximize photosynthesis, giving plants the light they need to grow naturally and quickly. In addition, the control panel is simple to understand and will automatically turn the lights on and off for you, making maintaining your garden nearly hands-free. Plus, the system even reminds you when to add the nutrients (included with this kit) and when it’s time to add more water. It comes with Genovese basil, curly parsley, and dill-seed pods, with other herbs and vegetables sold separately.
How does is work: Because plants grow in water with this hydroponic system, this is a low-mess option that doesn’t require potting soil. There’s also no transplanting or potting to worry about. So, the kit includes six gourmet herbs in soil-free pods to start a garden: Genovese basil, curly parsley, dill, mint, thyme, and Thai basil.
- Easy to use: Control panel that automatically turns lights on and off and reminds you when to add nutrients.
- Low-maintenance: System reminds you when care is needed.
- Hydroponic System technology: Advanced hydroponics made simple. That means that plants grow in water, not soil. Besides, it has high-performance with a full spectrum 10-watt LED lighting system that is tuned to specific needs. This allows plants to maximize photosynthesis, resulting in rapid, natural growth and abundant harvests.
- This kit includes: Genovese Basil, Curly Parsley, and Dill & 3 oz. patented nutrients (enough for a full season of growth)
- Great design: Slim design is perfect for small counters and desks
- The LED lights are bright so don’t locate the kit in a bedroom.
- It grows only three plants at a time.
- Note: Although AeroGarden no longer makes this particular unit, it’s still for sale on Amazon. The herb pots are still in production.
What is a Hydroponic System?
Hydroponics is the term used when growing plants in water. This efficient technique allows you to grow your vegetables without the hassle of messy soil. It is generally much faster than soil based methods because it delivers nutrients in a form that is easier for a plant to absorb allowing it to spend all it’s energy on generating biomass. In addition, a key advantage to hydroponics is that it uses up to 95% less water than conventional methods.
3. Back to the Roots Water Garden
The Back to the Roots Water Garden is considered one of the best garden kits for microgreens by New York Magazine.
What is it: This self-cleaning 3 gallon fish tank – garden hybrid comes with a three-month supply of microgreens and wheatgrass. It includes everything you need to get started: 3 gallon, shatter-resistant fish tank, gravel, organic seeds, Grow stones, natural d-chlorinator. Moreover, this closed-looped ecosystem is powered by aquaponics the combination of aquaculture, or fish farming, with hydroponics, or growing plants in nutrient-rich water
How does it work: This kit is more straightforward: It has a single Beta fish that provides nutrients for your plants in a fish-fertilizing, self-cleaning system.
- Multi-Use and easy to set up: It’s a garden, a fish tank, and a beautiful addition to your home décor.
- Aquaponic System technology: You grow your plants in nutrient rich water, without making a mess with soil.
- This kit includes: Everything you need to start your water garden. It contains organic seeds, growstones, natural fertilizer, a coupon for a betta fish, fish food and a silent water pump.
- Great design: nice design for both an aquarium and a garden.
- Although the idea of this sounds great, it’s not that functional.
- Not as easy to maintain: Many reviewers complain that it’s a hassle to clean. The aquarium water must be cleaned from time to time and replenished just like any other aquarium, but the “farm” pots and air tube make accessing the fish’s water extra messy.
- Several fishes have died due to issues on the filter pump, according to many reviewers.
Click here for more details on Amazon.
What is an aquaponic Water Garden?
Aquaponic is a closed-looped ecosystem powered by aquaculture (fish farming) and hydroponics (growing plants in nutrient rich water). How the cycle works: fish that releases nutrient-rich waste into the water, the plants eat the nutrients as food at the same time filtering the water to go back down to your fish.
4. Modern Sprout Garden Jar Set of 3
The Modern Sprout Garden Jar is on Oprah’s Favorite Things 2015: Self-Watering Planters Make It Easy-To-Grow Herbs Year Round.
What is it: This grow house is great for growing basil, mint, rosemary, parsley, arugula, and watercress; It’s also got a fancy “tranquil fading” feature when the light transitions on or off, to mimic the effect of dawn or dusk. It includes: Organic Basil, Organic Parsley and Non-GMO Mint Seeds, Plant Food, Grow Medium and More.
How does it work: Each mason jar is outfitted with a passive hydroponic system known as wicking, which brings water up to the plant’s roots. Because plants grow in water with this hydroponic system, this is a low-mess option that doesn’t require potting soil. There’s also no transplanting or potting to worry about. You can grow your plants indoors on a sunny windowsill.
- Easy to use.
- Low maintenance: Because it’s a self watering planter, you will never forget to water your plants again.
- Hydroponic System technology: Advanced hydroponics made simple. Meaning that plants grow in water, not soil.
- Nice design: easily sits out of the way.
- The kit Includes: three self-watering herb kits (Organic Basil, Organic Parsley, and Non-GMO Mint Seeds), Quart Size Blue, Green & Pink Mason Jars, Stainless Steel Net Pot, Recycled glass Growing Medium and Coco Pith, Polypro Wick, Plant Nutrient Food , and Simple Growing Instructions.
- Good idea but not very efficient.
- Several reviewers pointed out that all that grew was mold.
- Some other reviews said seeds were out dated and didn’t grow or they didn’t grew more than 1inch.
- Very time consuming to monitor.
Click here for more details on Amazon.
5. SunBlaster Mini Greenhouse Kit with NanoDome
What is it: The kit comes with a high quality 10”x20” tray, 7″ vented NanoDome (humidity dome) and a SunBlaster 18″ T5HO 6400K lighting kit (high-output fluorescent grow light with a reflector that mounts directly onto the dome).
How does it work: Considered by reviewers a “mini greenhouse propagator”. So this kit is all about the convenience of having a fitted light over the dome with a very convenient and unique design.
- Easy to use: kit includes everything you need to start flower or vegetable seedlings, propagate fresh cuttings, or grow fresh herbs right in your kitchen all year long.
- Design: with a unique H pattern which enables you to lay your lighting across a single dome or multiple domes
- Lights: Light is high output (for it’s small size and 17watts) and the reflector really does seem to work well. They are also daisy-chainable up to 7.
- Dome: Vents for humidity control are a good addition.
- Issues with the lights are constant on the reviews. Some reviewers pointed out that the light is not led, instead, it’s a cheap fluorescent bulb that may be too weak for the purpose. Besides, it’s arguably not enough light for herbs or serious growth. Also, the lights are fixed, that means that they can’t be adjusted.
* After reading this post, we would appreciate you sharing your experience with us. You can also subscribe to our newsletter to receive more content from us. We really hope you enjoy!